Vegan, Jane Austen student, Minimalist, Reader, Librarian

Friday, June 7, 2013

Chickpea Curry



Serve with any grain; I used barley & it was delicious.

This recipe, officially called "Chickpea Curry in a Hurry," comes from Lorna Sass's Shortcut Vegan.

I've tweaked it a bit to suit my personal taste but it's so easy and delicious you'll definitely want to try. What follows is my tweaked recipe:

1 15 oz can chickpeas
1/2 C chickpea cooking liquid from can (you can use water if your chickpeas aren't organic)
1/2 of a container of Pomi brand chopped tomatoes
1 tsp mild curry
1 tsp hot curry
3 C baby spinach
1/4 shredded coconut
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
1/2 tsp salt

In a large pot or saucepan, combine all ingredients EXCEPT baby spinach. Bring almost (but not quite) to a boil over medium high heat, then cover and simmer for five minutes. Add spinach, stir, and serve with grain of your choice. I used barley in the picture above but I've also used rice (brown, brown basmati, or short grain brown).

Sass's recipe adds either green chilies or a seeded jalapeno but I think a sweet green pepper might be good enough since the hot curry is so strong. She also uses more coconut but I want to taste everything and I find coconut can be overpowering sometimes.

1 comment: